At John Cross, we believe that PE is a fundamental part of the curriculum to help develop healthy bodies and healthy minds, and create an awareness of being active for life. PE develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. These include dance, games, gymnastics, swimming and water safety, athletics and outdoor adventure activities. PE promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills, and it promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. It also involves learning strategies that are transferable between sports and activities, and using these within competitive games. We intend that children are encouraged to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives to lead healthy lifestyles as adults.
As well as our PE curriculum, we also have additional activities throughout the year. Some of these include:
- Being a member of the Garstang Academy Sports Partnership. This involves our children taking part in extra-curricular coaching and sports competitions held at the high school. Football, basketball, netball, glow dodgeball, curling and handball are some of the recent activities.
- Employing specialist coaches to lead activities such as tennis or multi-sports.
- Swimming lessons each week for Y5/6 with participation in the annual swimming gala.
- Residential and day visits involving adventurous activities and orienteering.
- Sponsored charity events involving runs/ obstacle courses.
- Annual Sports day.
Proud to try on our new John Cross sports kit which arrived this week:
With the aid of the Sports Premium grant, we have been able to ensure that playtime equipment and resources help support the long-term health and well-being of children, whilst encouraging physical activity and trying new games and sports. Children have a variety of activities timetabled for break-times each week.
We recently purchased an outdoor table-tennis table, as well as extending our trim-trail, which the children enjoy using.
Year 5/6 Basketball December 2022
Our girls and boys took part in a basketball competition, with both teams doing really well. The boys got to their final but were narrowly beaten 1-0 to finish 2nd out of the 6 teams in their group!
Year 5/6 Glow Dodgeball, November 2022
Y5/6, Small School Football winners! Autumn Term 1st Half
Well done to the Y5/6 football team who finished outright winners at the football competition at GCA on Wednesday! They played four games, winning 3-0, 3-0, 3-0 and 4-0, which is a fantastic achievement!
Well done to the Y5/6 children who took part in the small-school football competition - they