Through the teaching of Red Rose Letters and Sounds we ensure a rigorous and thorough planning programme is followed in order to strengthen the teaching and learning of phonics, and ensure children become enthusiastic and successful readers and writers.
Our aims: Our children are entitled to a Phonics curriculum which enables them to:
• gain a progressively deeper understanding of the phonetic structure of the English language.
• apply their phonic knowledge and skills to decode unfamiliar words fluently and accurately.
• read rapidly to apply what they have learned across the whole curriculum.
• create fluent readers, confident speakers and willing writers.
• develop a life-long love of reading.
At John Cross, we use the comprehensive synthetic phonics programme, Red Rose Letters and Sounds, developed by Lancashire Education to systematically teach and practise Letters and Sounds.
All our reading books in the early years and KS1 have been structured in phases and sets which correspond to the phases within Red Rose Letters and Sounds. Children will only take home reading books which include the letter sounds that they have previously been taught, tricky words they can read and words that have been pre-taught e.g. character names/topic words. This enables children to build confidence; providing opportunities to practise grapheme phoneme correspondence, the decoding skills they have been taught in school and to enjoy their reading.
Long Term Phonics Plan - EYFS & KS1 Trajectory to secure Phase 5
Click on the link below to explore.